Bedford College has a UK Visas and Immigration sponsor licence Tier 4 (students) with Highly Trusted Status. Before you can study and live in the UK you must apply for entry clearance (unless you are a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country). The visa you require will depend upon the programme you intend to study.


Student Visitor Visa

You may only need a Short-term Visa if you choose to study one of our short courses or English Language programmes. This type of visa does not enable you to work part-time but you can attend College for only four, six or 12 hours per week.

Short-term Visa

If you are studying a one or two year programme you will need to apply for a Tier 4 Short-term Visa. Your course must be a weekday course involving attendance for a minimum of 15 hours organised daytime study per week. You are able to work part-time with this type of visa.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Students (CAS)

Before you can apply for either of the above visas you must be in receipt of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Students (CAS) and you must apply for clearance in advance of travel to the UK. It is Bedford College’s policy that you must pay all the fees for your course in one single payment before we send your CAS letter. This can take up to a week after payment has been received.

For more information about applying for a student visa please visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website:

Please note: If you are on any other type of visa you may be able to study part-time. Please contact us on +44 (0)1234 291000 or email for more details.

Useful contacts

British Embassy, High Commission or British Council - in your own country

UKCISA: The Council for International Education
9-17 St Albans Place
N1 0NX
Tel: +44 (0)207 107 9922

These notes are intended to be for guidance only and do not constitute a definitive statement of the regulations. You should contact the British Embassy, High Commission or British Council office in your own country for more detailed information on studying in the UK.