Preparation for Access to Higher Education (Health Professions) Level 2 Certificate
This is an intense course aimed at mature students (19+) and designed for those considering a career in the health, science or care sector in need of a progression pathway to university. It would also benefit those working within the sector to support their progression to a university degree. On successful completion you will be guaranteed a place on the Access to Higher Education courses providing that you complete the whole course and achieve English at Level 2 and maths at Level 1 or above.
There are no specific entry criteria however you will need to already have a good level of maths and written and spoken English to be successful. You will need to have researched the type of career you would like to work towards, and discuss this at an information session where you have the opportunity to meet the staff.
You will study:
- Understanding the role of the healthcare worker
- Communication skills for working in the health sector
- People and personal development in the health sector
- Health, safety and security in the health sector
- Understanding quality standards in the health sector
- Equality and diversity in the health sector
- Functional Skills English
- Functional Skills maths
You will be expected to create a portfolio of evidence based upon:
- record of professional discussion
- record of oral and written questioning
- candidate and peer reports
Further study and career options
Guaranteed progression on to Access to Nursing and Healthcare Professions, Social Science and Combined Science.
The qualification can also support progression to employment for the following job roles:
- support worker (supported living)
- healthcare support service worker
- clinical healthcare support worker
- healthcare assistant
- mental health support worker
- mental health outreach worker
- substance misuse worker
- health education/promotion worker
- non-clinical roles within healthcare - such as reception staff, porters, drivers etc.
This is a part-time course two days per week for 32 weeks. Your reasons for applying should be added to your application which will be checked and a telephone interview for further information may be required.