Motor Vehicle Body Repair & Paint Advanced (Level 3)
This Level 3 qualification will provide you with advanced knowledge and skills for vehicle body repair and paint, working on a wide range of vehicles in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist body businesses.
I’ve been interested in cars since the age of 12 when I used to work on a friend’s hot rod. Bedford College was an obvious choice for me because it’s local and has great motor facilities at its Vehicle Technology Centre in Kempston.
I enjoyed the practical work more than the theory, particularly learning how to operate the different paint systems properly and efficiently, as well as learning the best ways to do filler work and welding. I also enjoyed working on some of the different cars the College had such as the Mitsubishi rally car.
I found the atmosphere at College much more mature than school and the teachers were very supportive. I have learning difficulties, but this wasn’t an issue as the teachers were happy to repeat things or demonstrate techniques in a visual way as this is my preferred learning style. It also helped that we always worked in small groups.
The course definitely prepared me for work, particularly the practical skills such as what tools you need to use for which job and how to use them properly. Overall it was a very good experience for me.
Sian - Motor Vehicle Level 3
To begin this study programme you will need a Motor Vehicle Body Repair & Paint IMI Level 2 Diploma with Maths & English GCSE to Grade C. Entry will also be subject to a successful interview.
- Subject units:
- Removing, replacing and repairing body panels
- Identifying and rectifying body misalignment ( JIG work)
- MIG welding techniques
- Resistance spot welding operations
- Understanding vehicle construction and materials
- Working with plastic materials and components
- Preparing metal and pre-painted surfaces
- Establishing paint defects
- Applying topcoats (water based) and completing refinishing
- Colour matching - metallics and pearls
- Blending/local repairs
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- You will also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage. The course is 50% workshop-based and 50% theory.
IMIAL Vehicle Accident Repair Body Principles Level 3 Diploma
- IMIAL Vehicle Accident Repair Paint Principles Level 3 Diploma
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
On successful completion of this study programme you can pursue employment in the motor industry, or undertake an apprenticeship in a related field.
To take part in this study programme there will be an additional fee of approximately £24 for required clothing/uniform, and £10 for any trips/visits that take place.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance
If you are aged 19 or over you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you pay the tuition fees for this course. Find out more at www.bedford.ac.uk/loans. You can also pay by instalments to help make the cost of this course more affordable.